Friday, March 31, 2006

Prayer Flunks Scientific Study - My Newsletter Article

So prayer doesn't work. That is the finding of a major study being reported in all the media today. More than 1,800 patients were divided into three groups: those who were told someone was praying for them; those who were told only that someone might pray for them and got prayers; and those who were told someone might pray for them but received no prayers. Two groups of Catholics and one group of Protestants were asked to do the praying. And the only difference in results was that those who knew they were being prayed for developed more complications.

I have already seen some remarkable comments to this study including one that suggested that God was not amused that "his" power was being tested, and he refused to cooperate.

I am not surprised at the results of the study, but it is not because I think God refused to cooperate. I don't think prayer is about getting God to produce
results. I don't believe in a God who is up there or out there somewhere who can be influenced by human prayers to intervene in a miraculous way and change the outcome of ones illness or surgery or predicament. I am always leary of claims that prayers have produced results because I have known far too many people whose prayers have not produced the results they wanted. Does God listen to some prayers and not others? What about those who don't have anyone to pray for them? Are they out of luck?


Prayer for me is not about asking God to produce results or even attempting to channel energy in a particular way. It is in fact an exercise in letting go of all attempts to control the outcome. It is also an act of recognition: in prayer I recognize that there are limits to our science and my human understanding. Most importantly, it is an expression of trust. I trust that regardless of any outcome Love will be there, deep enough and strong enough to bring healing - not physical healing, necessarily - but emotional and spiritual healing. I pray and trust that love prevails.

What do you think about the prayer study, or my thoughts on prayer?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your thinking that praying to a God and expecting things to happen is just not healthy. Positive thinking, laughter and friendships also rank up there with love. Praying is as personal as it gets. I consider prayer my inner voice, you might say.

But, I think there is some truth to channeling energy. In fact I think our universe is energy shifting and moving continuously. When I get goose bumps or a tingling sensation this is energy moving through my energy. An "answer" to a prayer you might say. If you can be in touch with the people around you and "feel" their energy whether it is positive, sad, upset, angry, content, negative or happy you become a better person and can "channel" energy back and forth, good and bad.

Anonymous said...

Jay - I enjoyed reading your comments about prayer and agree for the most part. However, there is one aspect of prayer that you do not address and that is the benefits of feeling and transmitting positive energy and spirit.

I believe that we are all part a large, connected spiritual realm. As a member of this realm, if I am open to it, I can be a channel to this energy. I see this as God’s energy and spirit that flows through us. Prayer functions as a way to open the channel for a free flow. When I do not pray, I find my channel to be closed.

ProgressiveChurchlady said...

Jay,

What a shameless attempt in the OC Update to advertise the fact that you are blogging again! LOL

Now that you've converted me--to blogging that is--I'll post comments!

liberal pastor said...

I think there can be great value in having the conversation. I have no doubt that it changes us for the better.