Friday, May 19, 2006

Have You Noticed?

Have you noticed that it is spring? Have you noticed
the sun has been shining? It's warm? Birds are
singing? Hummingbirds are back? There are goslings
about, and baby rabbits? Flowers are blooming? That
there is new life and stunning beauty all around us
right now?

There is much to think about, tons of work to do, a
bevy of worthy causes that need our attention. But if
you haven't noticed the spring and the warmth and
the beauty, maybe its time to take a break and go
outside and take a walk.

You don't want to miss what is really important in
your life: the gift of this moment. Enjoy it.

1 comment:

ProgressiveChurchlady said...

Almost all of my waking hours for the past 24 have been spent out of doors! I'm gearing up for my beloved Memorial Day Weekend camping trip next weekend!

My 24 (not to be confused with Keifer Sutherland's 24) started with an overnight at the MN Zoo's Farm with my kids and 5 other moms and their kids. We all saw the newborn calves, kids, piglets and chicks and their parents. We roasted marshmallows. We watched a cow get milked and fed the goats. We shoveled manure out of the draft horse barns and put down new hay. It was glorious!

Once we got back home at 8:30 this morning, unpacked, and the laundry started, I headed outside for a full day of gardening. By the end of the evening, I'd finished almost all of the "unpleasant tasks"--the weeding and the soil preparation, the fertilization. Now all that's left is the fun part--the planting the seeds (and a few herbs I bought already started at the local garden club's sale last week).

I took a few breaks during the day to have lunch, go see my daughter's artwork on exhibit at Fairview Ridges Hospital, and buy some new lawn chairs at Fleet Farm so that at the end of the evening, we could all sit in the middle of our garden and enjoy some rest. We watched the geese fly overhead, the birds eating at the suet feeder, and the rabbits doing what rabbits do best in our backyard.

If it was only a bit warmer, I'd camp outside tonight...But unlike my kids, I've mastered the concept of delayed gratification. I can wait 6 more days until Friday night!