Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Anglicans Heading Towards Schism?

From the Washington Post:

Several leading liberal Episcopalians said yesterday that they would rather accept a schism than accede to a demand from leaders of the worldwide Anglican Communion for what they view as an unconscionable rollback of the U.S. church's position on gay rights.

The defiant reaction to the communique issued by the primates, or heads, of the Anglican Communion's 38 national churches on Monday at the conclusion of a weeklong meeting in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, reflected a growing feeling on both sides of the dispute that time for compromise is running out.

"Yes, I would accept schism," said Bishop Steven Charleston, president of the Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Mass. "I would be willing to accept being told I'm not in communion with places like Nigeria if it meant I could continue to be in a position of justice and morality. If the price I pay is that I'm not considered to be part of a flawed communion, then so be it."

I couldn't agree more. There are some moral principles that can't be compromised.

1 comment:

ProgressiveChurchlady said...

Unity at the expense of justice is NOT the message of Jesus.

I'm glad to read that some Episcopal Bishops are standing firm with full inclusion at the expense of denominational harmony!

It has been my hope that other protestant denominaions would do the same, but it has not been so thus far.