Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Unhealthy Situation

If you are a pastor in the Church of the Brethern denomination it is now critical that your spouse works in a job with health insurance benefits. I wonder how many Brethern pastors and members of their households have preexisting conditions which will make them uninsurable now.

This is a sad situation and is just a microcosim of what is going on nationally. Time for universal health coverage! Now, the burden has been shifted from the denomination and congregations on to the individuals and more bankruptcies will occur.

I'm on vacation in Ohio too and my daughter got swimmers' ear and needed an Rx which I filled at the local Walmart. In front of me was a retired gentleman who paid over $140.00 cash for his sleep medication--after insurance coverage. He was shaking his head as he opened his wallet.

We've got to get control of this situation and fast! Any of you Brethern clergy want to comment on your personal situations? Progressive Churchlady would like to hear your story!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's "Brethren," not "Brethern." Or maybe you're from the South?

Loveparent said...

I was born and raised a Presbyterian in Holmes County Ohio where there are several Brethren congregations but many more Mennonite and Amish churches.

I didn't become affiliated with the Brethren until Nov. 2004 when I joined Liberalchurch. Now I'm both Presbyterian (still serve on my Presbytery's Permanent Judicial Commission) as well as Brethren.

I guess it is high time I learned to spell Brethren correctly. Thanks for the correction!