Thursday, September 20, 2007

*Extra* Years of Therapy Hang in the Balance!

Liberalchurch in Burnsville has several families that have members entering college this fall. Several parents have become "empty nesters" including liberalpastor and his spouse. This article in the New York Times this morning brought back some old feelings. I'm an only child so you might guess that upon my departure to college my room remained a "shrine" for about 9 years. When my husband and I contracted to build a home--the one we still live in--my parents immediately began to remodel my father's childhood home and moved (across the street). At age 40-something I felt a sense of loss when my mother sold the home (a perfectly wise and sound decision on her part) even though it had undergone many metamorphoses during the 15+ years it had been rental property. So...my parents' treatment of my childhood space after leaving for college did not add more years to my therapy...

1 comment:

liberal pastor said...

So far our kids' rooms still look and smell the same.