Monday, October 29, 2007

SOS--Stressed Out Students

I remember the feeling well! Almost like it was yesterday ;-)

Too much stress can lead to many, many, problems including anxiety, depression, gastrointestinal distress, lowered immune system, high blood pressure etc. I read today in the NYTimes that public and private schools are now doing what our health care system, our religious and secular groups, and families haven't been able to do effectively--help teach children "preventative practices" for mental and physical health problems related to stress.

This Friday night my daughter's Girl Scout troop will be having an overnight at the council office in St. Paul and a couple of the fun things we will be doing is to begin earning the "Stress Less" badge. The Director of Spiritual Health for Fairview Ridges Hosptial (who is the mom of one of the girls) will be leading us in a guided meditation. We will also do yoga together using a DVD by Rodney Yee. At our Monday Nov. 12 meeting we will be taught the Emotional Freedom Technique by Liberalchurch's own Wellness Ministry Team leader. I'm looking forward to it! I wish someone had done this for me when I was 9,13,17,21,25 or 29...

No comments: