Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tis the Season...for junk mail!

Last night I came home after 9pm for the night to a 4" stack of mail. I am generous as to how I classify the mail we receive. My spouse considers e-mail solicitations from non-profits junk mail and would have considered at least 90% of it to be junk. I'm not so harsh. If the mail originates from an organization that we have had some connection with and is trying to contact us, than I don't classify it as junk. However, if it is from some place that has purchased my name and address from someone else--that's pure junk! (And, I'd like to know which company or organization sold my name and address so I can cancel my subscription or stop making a contribution.)

Junk mail is bad for our environment because it is wasteful and studies show that the average US household receives 41 lbs. per year. Now a nonprofit organization has been started aptly named 41 Pounds to help stop junk mail from coming to your mailbox. If you sign up for their service, they will contribute to another nonprofit charity!

Here's the address to the 41 Pounds website.

1 comment:

ProgressiveChurchlady said...

Should add that it costs $41 for a 5 year subscription to have junk mail stopped being mailed to you. You can send the names of companies who send you mail order catalogues as well as "envelope mail" and you can update this list as much as you like. Now is a good time to halt all the biggest offenders during this holiday season as the mailings pile up. Just think how many trees we'll save between this year and next!