Monday, July 07, 2008

"I Hated Gay People"

Drew Tatusko is an academic administrator and instructor at Mount Aloysius College in Cresson, PA. He posts frequently to his blog Notes From Off-Center. On this blog he describes why he is gay-friendly:

I hated gay people.

This was a sentiment often covered up by statements like, “I am being compassionate for their eternal status with God”, or “Hate the sin, love the sinner”, or “God did not create us to have sex with people of the same gender”. I was a harbinger of repentance, of purity, and of chastity for those who had succumbed to the whims of desire, a fallen culture, and the poor misguided choice of the psychologically needy to seek out someone of the same gender to fulfill their dark sexual desire. I had a very clear and indubitable assumption that a “practicing” homosexual could not receive Christ and those who believed they had, were deceiving themselves. After all did not John say, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us”?

But these were statements to absolve me of my own guilt. The truth is that I hated gay people because they were a disease to the world and the the Church. Gay people were pedophiles, sexual addicts, and the source of the AIDS epidemic - something God must have brought upon us to make us aware…of them.

Then my sister came out and everything began to change...

The rest of this post is well-worth the read. What changes conservative Christian hearts and minds about homosexuality is not good biblical scholarship or efforts at reasoning but personal experience with gay people, especially friends and family.

I found this blogger via Exploring our Matrix.

No comments: