Thursday, October 20, 2016

A beautiful fall that feels a lot like summer

I walked at Murphy-Hanrehan Park today. I saw a pair of warblers that I couldn't identify, Lincoln's, Song, and White-throated Sparrows, a pair of Golden-crowned Kinglets, three Hermit Thrushes, Juncos and Chickadees, and several hawks flying at a distance. We are mostly past peek fall colors here, but there is still some to be seen.


Even the prairie grasses look great.



I came home and mowed grass and leaves. Then I walked out back. It;s October 20 and we still have roses blooming.


The Cimicifuga racemosa is finally blooming. Often we get a freeze before it comes into bloom, but not this year.


We also have hydrangea coming into bloom. I'm sure this endless summer has nothing to do with climate change!


Here's some wisdom from a late bloomer:

“I was a late bloomer. But anyone who blooms at all, ever, is very lucky. ” ― Sharon Olds

No comments: