Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Footnotes

I always read through all of the footnotes of the books I read; they usually contain gems as worthy as the material found in the books themselves. Today I read Marcus Borg's book Jesus, which is his revised and expanded version of Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. Much of it is the same material, but there are good additions. But in a footnote about how he understands John 14:6:
Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
I caught this:
To amplify with a story that illustrates a nonexclusive way of interpreting John 14:6, about fifty years ago a Hindu professor preached on this text in a Christian seminary. After reading the text aloud, he announced that this text was absolutely true--Jesus is the only way. And, he continued, this way is known in all the world's enduring religions. His point is that Jesus was not the unique revelation of a way unknown anywhere else; rather, Jesus was that way became flesh, embodied, incarnate, and in a life.
Very nice.

No comments: