Monday, December 17, 2007

LiberalChurchlady has a Saturday Night Live Flashback

I got a call on my cell phone from an Evangelical Christian group this morning.

This is very rare on two counts--that Evangelicals would be calling me and that I'd get a call on my cell phone (which happened to be turned on, charged, and sitting next to me)!

The male caller started by telling me I'd been "referred" by my husband's aunt and uncle. (His uncle has been deceased at least 7 years, so this was another oddity.) He then asked me whether I thought there was too much sex and violence on television today.

All I could think about was the old Saturday Night Live sketch where Chevy Chase on the Weekend News Update newscast asks commentator Emily Latella, played by the late and great Gilda Radner, the exact same question.

Emily's reply was, "Too much sax and violins? No! I LOVE sax and violins. Why do you want to stop the music on television?...and on she continued..."

Instead of:
a) Giving the Emily Latella answer
b) Laughing into the receiver
c) Satisfying my curiosity about this strange call and engaging the caller in conversation so I could investigate further; or
d) Hanging up immediately without response,

I chose Plan E--my standard answer for all phone calls. I politely indicated that we do not respond to telephone solicitations at our home and asked to be placed on this organization's "Do Not Call List". I then thanked the caller, and then hung up--as he was still trying to talk to me!

No comments: