Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Plague in the kingdom of Spamalot!

In the StarTribune today is an article about a rare neurological disorder suffered by a number of workers in the pork processing section of Hormel--makers of SPAM--in Austin, MN. The disease which causes the immune system to attack the sheath surrounding the nerve was identified in 1975 by a doctor from the Mayo Clinic.

While assurances have been issued by both Hormel's public relations and state epidemologists that this is not something that is transmitted by virus but is somehow a production related problem that is unique to plant workers, it does give one pause. I keep telling myself that perhaps the time is ripe to again open all those vegetarian cookbooks I invested in and used regularly for about 5 years back in the 90s!

I'm finally getting around to reading about the adventure and exploits of Barbara Kingslover's family as they raise and process their own food which she has documented in her recent book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle! Local zoning ordances--not to mention my spouse--would prohibit me from operating my own "free range farm" in our backyard. So producing my own livestock in the burbs is not an option. I'd have to go veggie again.

No comments: