Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Moms a Bulldog and an Archangel

Quinn Bradley is the son of Newsweek writer Sally Quinn and former Washington Post publisher Benjamin Bradlee. Quinn lives with a congenital birth defect, Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome. In the current edition of Newsweek he talks about his illness and writes this about his mom:

… pretty soon after I was born, my doctor detected a heart murmur, and when I was about three months old, I had to have open-heart surgery. I think this was a pretty crappy time for my parents. They thought I might die, and I could have died. My mom says the night before my heart operation was one of the worst nights of her life. She wasn’t allowed to nurse me. She could barely even hold me. When they took me into the operating room the next day, she basically fainted.

… She’s a very powerful woman. She’s like a bulldog, or a lioness. You don’t want to mess with her. She has controlled a lot of my life. Sometimes I’m angry about that, because I feel I’m in the passenger seat of the car and I have to ride wherever the driver wants me to go. Sometimes I feel as if I have no freedom.

But there is a flip side to everything. And there is truth in everything that we say. I couldn’t have lived without my mom. She’s saved my ass a million times. She has been like an archangel to me. She had the wings that I didn’t. And she’s basically carried me everywhere I’ve been.

Just a nice, uplifting piece. Via GetReligion

No comments: