Friday, August 04, 2006

Ohio 18 Year Old Apologizes for Dad's Attack on Strickland

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer, a story about a Republican staffer, since fired, who suggested in e-mails that Democratic gubernatorial candidate Ted Strickland was gay. The staffer's 18 year old daughter wrote a letter of apology to Strickland and his wife:
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Strickland:

I wanted to publicly apologize for the attacks in my father's email and the negative media that followed. Although I am a Republican and support Ken Blackwell in this race, I am ashamed of the way my father played his part in the elections. I know first-hand the hurt and anger caused by biting accusations such as these from my father as some have been directed at me. I am so sorry that this email has stained your reputation in this manner. The email my father sent was immature and embarrassing. I am also sorry that his response to the public outrage was further defense, not a humble apology.

Mrs. Strickland, I want to encourage you specifically and give whatever comfort I can. I respect your relationship with your husband and I'm so sorry for the hurt this has caused you. As women, we are called to respect our husbands and be their help-meet (sic); thank you for staying with your husband through his political career despite the public's harsh critiques and impatience.

I have come to understand that as an 18 year old at college and living a life apart from my father, I am not responsible for my father's actions. However, I still want to extend my hand to you even if it is just to let you know I do not agree nor take part in my father's words against both of you. I will be praying for you throughout this election and that God's will be done.

In His grace,

Lauren Lankford

No comments: